Re: keeping the two latest files on a folder

Andrew Sackville-West skrev:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 06:46:31PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 03:35:19PM EDT, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
Israel Garcia skrev:
Hi List,

It's a simple  question but difficult to me :-).

How can I delete all files on a folder /xxxx but keeping only the two
latest (newest)  files?

untested, run it with 'echo' in front first to test:
rm $(ls -rt | sed '1,2d')
sed rocks...!

indeed. wow.
Due to all the positive feed-back, I actually tested the "ls -rt"-bit, and sure enough, the 'r' makes ls list the newest files _last_, so you DON'T want 'r'. This makes the correct command:

rm $(ls -t | sed '1,2d')

You should _still_ test it first using 'echo ', to make sure there are no subdirectories in there, and on general principles. Adapt to whatever you have in the directory.