Re: starting Idesk automatically in IceWM on Lenny

> On Tuesday 13 October 2009 10:43:21 Tim Clewlow wrote:
>> You can rearrange the order in which things are started in your
>> .xsession file, ie you dont have to start the window manager last.
> [snip]
>> Basically, when the script finishes, X will close - so dont let
>> the
>> script finish - thats what the long sleeping loop at the end is
>> for.
>> I'm guessing your .xsession should look something like:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults &
>> icewm &
>> sleep 1
>> <other apps> &
>> idesk &
>>
>> while [ 1 ] ; do
>> sleep 1000d
>> done
>>

>> The line 'sleep 1' is intended to be a little delay to give icewm
>> time to start up before attempting to run idesk. It may not
>> actually
>> be necessary, or it may be too small a delay, it all depends on
>> how
>> idesk determines if icewm is running, ie it may look for a lock
>> file
>> created really quickly by icewm, or it may look for a process that
>> may take some time to appear.
>
> Thanks for this and for the lucid explanation.  Sadly, it didn't
> work any
> better than the others.  Differently, but not better.  IceWM started
> to open,
> then x crashed out.  I also tried various changes to see if they
> would help.
> E.g., as you suggested I changed the sleep time.  But I also
> commented out
> and commented back in the xrdb line.  It made no difference which I
> did.
>
> So I am left with the best being to put startx in ~/.bash_profile
> and start
> idesk from the command line - but that is not acceptable.
>
> I am beginning to think that either it is simply not doable, or it
> is doable -
> but not by me. :-(
>
> Lisi
>

> --

I installed icewm and idesk, created a directory ~/.idesktop and
then started X with .xsession containing the following:

#!/bin/sh
xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults &
icewm &
idesk &

while [ 1 ] ; do
sleep 1000d
done

Idesk seems to start up fine, ie I had icewm running and an icon at
the top left that looks kind of like a house with the text 'Idesk'
written underneath.

--
The code that never executes at all is the fastest.