Re: [OT] List policy - [Was: Could you recommend CD/DVD writer program?]

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 12 October 2009 15:03:42 Tom H wrote:

>>> On what do you base this strange assertion?  I would have said the
>>> reverse. Some figures, please!

>> In order to reply to the list, I choose "reply" and change the "to"
>> field to "debian-user...".

>> I assume that some people choose "reply to all" and it makes others
>> unnecessarily angry about receiving two identical emails.

>> Non-Debian lists do not behave this way. Choosing "reply" is set to
>> send an email back to the list - even on sun-managers where the policy
>> is to reply off-list and have the OP post a summary.

> That in no way replies to what I said.  It was his statistics I was querying,
> and I still do.

> I just have the folder reply set to "reply to list".  I would have said that
> that, or something similar, was true of the majority of debian users, tho'
> patently not all, and equally patently I too have no real evidence.

> So, I repeat: on what do (you and) he base the assertion that the majority of
> those on this list agree with you?

He is extrapolating, rightly or wrongly regarding "majority" and
opining regarding "stubbornness".

I was simply seconding his claim that this list is set up differently
from others in respect of the "reply" feature.

I use the gmail web interface. There is no "reply to list" option or
"folder reply" setting - although I am going to check whether there is
a "label reply" setting (thanks for the idea)...