Re: NFS or SSHFS?

On Oct 12, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Israel Garcia wrote:

Hi list,

Do you know pros and cons of using SSHFS instead NFS to share a lot of
debian folders? I know NFS is proven and has good performance with a
lot of shares and intensive use. BUT I don't know if SSHFS have been
proven to work under this circumstances. Any experience using SSHFS?

-- Regards;
Israel Garcia

Hi Israel Garcia,

I think alot depends on how you're gonna use the shares. SSHFS was not
designed to deal with concurrent access, so if you're gonna have multiple users writing to the same shares, you might end up with a corrupted filesystem.

NFS *does* have locking built-in, etc. As far as performance goes; I
never compared them. I can only guess, that SSHFS would have some encryption
overhead.

I only use SSHFS to access files over insecure networks, as the only user.

Kind regards,
Samy Ascha