Re: OT question about sound cards/chip-sets and high-end music systems

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 05 October 2009 13:20:14 Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > > It is purely digital.  16-bit (not sure if this is floating- or
> > > fixed-point), stereo, 44.1 kHz samples, IIRC.
> >
> > What's the difference between 16-bit floating-point and 16-bit
> > fixed-point? I always thought those are just integers.

On floating-point, you can encode a higher dynamic range, but the precison
varies.  Fixed-point has the same precision on the entire range.

But you could have a function to map the integer range to a larger dynamic
range too (this is called quantization).  This sort of encoding should not
be confused with regular floating-point.

CDs use PCM, which _does_ have a quantization function.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation

> Some audio codecs use floating-point, which is like a "float" or "double" or
> "long double" in the C programing language.  Some bits are the exponent
> (usually with a bias) and some bits are the mantissa.  Other audio codecs use
> fixed-point, where the 16-bits simply a signed integer (or possibly an
> unsigned integer modified by a bias).

No codec worth its salt will use 16 bits, be it fixed point or floating
point.  Usually floating-point codecs will use standard precision or long
precision floating point (which is >80 bits, I think).  And most integer
codecs will use 32-bit or 64-bit fixed-point arithmetric.  They use that to
decode the PCM stream (which is 16-bit).

  Henrique Holschuh