re: How much RAM can debian support?

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:51:40 +0100
Kelly Harding <kelly.harding@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/10/9 Dean Chester <dean.g.chester@googlemail.com>:
> > Hi
> > I'm moving to a Macbook soon(staying with debian tho:p) and apple keep
> > advertising that snow leopard can support 16 exobytes of RAM. Im just
> > wondering how much can 64-bit debian support?
> > Thanks in advance
> > Dean
> >

> In theory at least Debian will support the limits of the kernel
> version it uses. So it is a bit subjective really.
>
> IIRC, only the latest X58 chipsets (for desktop consumer PCs) support
> upto either 16Gb or 32Gb of RAM (forget which),
> and the P3x chipsets only support upto 8Gb, with the P45 supporting
> upto 16Gb. IIRC Intel laptop chipsets are derived from
> their desktop counterparts to some extent.

I've seen machines going to the area of 160GB, not regular consumer ones though
Nehalem usually has 6 slots (3 channels, 2 slots per channel) and if you put in
8gb sticks you can go up to 48gb on a run of the mill board

Won't come cheap though ... especially since with so much memory you usually should opt for ecc
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Memory-DIMM-240-pin-registered/dp/B0028R3NC0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1255199747&sr=1-9