Re: Nvidia chipset problems on Presario

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 02:01:25PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 09:44 +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > I have an HP Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop.  Having no high-speed
> > connection,
> > I have installed Debian 5.0.2 from the dvd set.  This gives me kernel·
> > 2.6.26-2-686.  The Presario has an nvidia chipset (see output of lspci

[...]
Update: I took the laptop to London where I have broadband, downloaded the
nvidia drivers and things got better.  Since then I've upgraded to squeeze,
now with 2.6.30.  All's well (except for gnumeric -- but that is another
story, and very irritating as I cannot access any of my gnumeric files any
more).

> I'm really upset with the all around crap handling nvidia has given
> Linux in the last couple of years.  Sure, they were first out the door
> with some decent video drivers for Linux, but that was 10 years ago.
> Today, their drivers tend to be stale, poorly maintained, and buggy at
> best (hell, antialiasing doesn't even work right in their current
> drivers).
>
> If you want decent support, avoid nvidia.

Thanks for that advice, though as I usually buy whatever is available cheap,
I often don't have any choice.  It's a pity to see a firm that tried to
accept the presence of Linux letting things slip, though.

richard