Problem about grub automatically changes my root device

Dear all,

I've just upgrade my sarge system to lenny. We now encountered a problem.
Our original kernel is 2.4.27 and our present kernel is 2.6.26.
Our main SATA disk is recognized as hdd at the time of installation.
But in lenny, it is recoginzed as sda.
I find that each time I install a kernel image package, it still automatically changes the sda, which is adjusted as my system's requirement by myself, to hdd, which is the original main device number. I can fix this manually each time I install a new kernel package. But how can I make it automatically?
Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kun