Re: Re: free alternative acroread

IIUC this feature scales&translates the document so as to minimize the
margin (and hence maximize the size of the printed text, without
cropping).

Yes, that's it.

If that's the case, no I sadly don't know of a Free Software tool that
does that for you.

Sad news.

I would love to see a tool that does this automatically for me
(especially if it can do it for 2-up as well).

Me too :-)

Fundamentally, it
shouldn't be that hard.  IIUC running the PS (or PDF) file through
"gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=bbox" should return the needed
info about area actual used by the document, after which it should be
easy to scale/translate/rotate to make it fit on a page of any
given size.  But I never got around to trying it out.

Would be nice, if somebody could take this up ...

Andreas Gösele