Re: Debian vs. ATI Radeon x1650

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 01:52, Dominik Smatana <dominik@fsf.sk> wrote:
> Kelly Clowers wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what do you mean. What's vesa driver?
>>
>> A generic driver that is unaccelerated, and limited in resolution, etc.
>> (Vesa is the Video Electronics Standards Association, they have
>> created many standards, including one that defines a basic
>> graphical mode of operation that all video cards implement)
>>
>> In xorg.conf section "Device", put:
>> Driver      "vesa"
>> and comment out any other Driver line.
>>

> 1. "vesa"
> Thanks for the explanation, I've tried "vesa" driver, screen just went
> black (no sleep mode tho)... I had to hard restart after several minutes
> of waiting... no Xorg log was generated (?).
>

>>> Quick recap of my problem:
>>>
>>> Linux 2.6.30.6-dsa-ia32 i686 Debian
>>> X.Org X Server 1.6.3.901 (1.6.4 RC 1)
>>>
>>> my ATI Radeon x1650 have 2x DVI-I (Dual link),
>>> my LCD monitor LG L1752S got an "old" 15-pin D-SUB VGA connector
>>> so I have to use convertor...
>>>
>>> I'm getting following error when trying to start X:
>>>
>>> "...
>>> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>>>
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> no screens found
>>
>> Wait, you are getting an EE now? That wasn't in the first log you sent.
>>
>> Please post your full xorg.conf, and log with EE error.
>

> I made fresh install yesterday, Debian Squeeze/main (the latest weekly
> build).
>
> 2. "radeonhd"
> I'm getting EE when trying to start X using "radeonhd" driver (it's
> original config generated by Xorg -configure)... see full log in
> attachment. No hard restart needed in this case, after seeing EE message
> I got working console again...
>
> 3. "radeon"
> I've tried "radeon" driver as well... monitor went to sleep mode, I had
> to hard restart, no Xorg log was generated (?).

It is really weird that you don't get logs from those runs...
And the RadeonHD driver seems pretty convinced that there are
no displays attached.

I still didn't get an Xorg.conf from you, it might show something.

My only thought right nowis to try specifying some monitor info, like
VertRefresh and HorizSync, and maybe use:
Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
Option   "UseEdid" "false"

or some such.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Monitor_Settings