Re: how to get thermal info of boxes

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Israel Garcia wrote:

On 9/30/09, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@lucidpixels.com> wrote:
apt-get install lm-sensors
then run 'sensors'
Hi Justin,

Is it necessary to install lm-sensors on all guest domU domains If I
install it in the XEN dom0 server?
You only care about the server itself as it relates to the physical HW, why would you want it on the guests?

Do I have to recompile kernel to get lm-sensors working on debian lenny?
It depends, install it and run sensors, does it find your temperature
monitoring chips? If not you will need to recompile.

What about ACPI thermal? is it the same of lm-sensors?
That is a good question, I am not sure.

  | CONFIG_ACPI_FAN:                                                        |
  | This driver supports ACPI fan devices, allowing user-mode               |
  | applications to perform basic fan control (on, off, status).            |

  | CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR:                                                  |
  | This driver installs ACPI as the idle handler for Linux and uses        |
  | ACPI C2 and C3 processor states to save power on systems that           |
  | support it.  It is required by several flavors of cpufreq               |
  | performance-state drivers.                                              |
  | To compile this driver as a module, choose M here:                      |
  | the module will be called processor.                                    |

Maybe someone else on the list has the answer to that one :)

Justin.

thanks regards,
Israel.