Re: X crashing after upgrade: urgent!

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum
<bg271828@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi. Im running Sid on a Thinkpad T60, and recently rebooted my machine after having done several updates recently. I now find that X is crashing hard on boot, rendering the system unusabler.

As already mentioned here, you are brave to run Sid on working laptop.
Unfortunately, it is a testing branch of Debian and it is supposed to
be like that.

> But my system doesnt crash randomly, it wont even start in the first place.

So, the 'system wont even start' you mean X.org does not working properly?

> I reinstalled all xorg modules, and the mesa libraries (someone in that thread suggested this) but it still crashes in the same way. Im not using a config file, i just use the automatic one, and i dont want to do anything fancy.

If you are using T60 laptop, probably you have ATI video card. Well,
you have an option to completely change a driver for another one.
There are few drivers for ATI.

> I am supposed to give a presentation tomorrow with this laptop and its the only one i have so Im DESPERATE to get this resolve....

I tnink, first of all, you should secure you work situation. I am
suggesting you to download Ubuntu 9.04. Your laptop should work fine
with that desktop system.

Try it as a LiveCD system first. At least, you may try to make a
bootable USB stick with Ubuntu 9.04 and probably it will have enough
speed to show your presentation even without being Ubuntu installed on
your hard drive. In most cases, you will have an access to your data
on your laptop's hard drive. Mind the permissions.

Or, you may repartition your hard drive and install Ubuntu on it and
have dual boot laptop.

IMHO, for the future, you should have dual boot option, if you want to
play with testing distribution. If you want Debian, you should have
current 'stable' - Lenny and 'testing' - Sid.

Well, Good luck!

--
Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein