gnome - all windows dont move and cant change size or max or min windows

hi,

I am running sid and I decided to try using gnome instead of kde. I did update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
and picked gnome (there were two auto and manual mode). I tried both and I tried them with multiple window-managers including kwin and xfce and others.

The weird thing is that the windows dont move. They only have one decoration in the right upper corner, and no max or min buttons. Moreover I could not move the darn windows,
i tried grabbing them with control left button, meta left button and start left button.

every window was stuck and i could only open new windows which covered the windows already there.

very very odd....

any ideas.

i moved to icewm, but what is wrong with my gnome installation?

mitchell