Re: gateway disappears on reboot

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 14:01:07 -0400
Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> my interfaces file has a static setup that I NORMALLY use, and a DHCP
> setup when I am..working on stuff, like adding a router,
> troubleshooting..
> #new dhcp setup
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> auto eth0
> dns-nameserver 208.67.222.222
> dns-nameserver 208.67.220.220
> dns-nameserver 192.168.1.254
> # static setup
> #auto eth0
> #iface eth0 inet static
> #address 192.168.10.2
> #netmask 255.255.255.0
> #gateway 192.168.10.1

I'm still not sure what's modifying your resolv.conf, but I'll point
out that those dns-nameserver lines won't work without resolvconf.  The
basic networking infrastructure doesn't provide any way to publish
static nameserver information in the interfaces file, and those lines
are for the resolvconf package (see its manpage).

Also, I have occasionally had similar problems to yours, and the
culprit, at least sometimes, was dhcp itself.  Running the dhcp client,
or even a forgotten dhcp process in the background, can clear out your
resolv.conf or fill it with improper values.

Celejar