Re: [Solved - kinda] XFce4 vs GNOME Desktop

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:06:31 +0200, Nyizsnyik Ferenc in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 00:32:36 -0400
> "S.D.A." <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 10:40:45PM +0100, Liviu Andronic uttered:
>> > Hello

>> > First, which version of Xfce are you using? If it's recent (4.6),
>> > look for "Desktop settings" and find the  "Icons" tab. If it's 4.4
>> > (older), it had a strange name, similar to "desktop behaviour".
>> > Liviu
>>
>> Sorry had a brain fart, should have posted the relevant info earlier.
>>
>> Xfce 4 Desktop Environment
>> version 4.6.1 (Xfce 4.6)
>> Debian Unstable
>>
>> I don't understand why you want me to look for icons though. :)
>>
>> I have a desktop folder already and I can navigate to it via Thunar.
>> So it seems to me that it's an issue of XFce starting up in the wrong
>> directory. I'm not running Nautilas (It was installed previously and
>> Xfce displayed the desktop IF I ran Nautilas). Nautilas was too
>> "heavy" so I removed it. I would like the desktop back though as I
>> found it handy to have "shortcuts" on it.
<snip>

> Make sure that xfdesktop (or xfdesktop4) is running.

Thanks for responding.

While waiting, I did what is a workaround rather than fixing the problem,
but  I had other things to do. 8-)

I enabled the 'selection' menu whenever one starts up Xfce4. The first time
run I asked it to setup up a new Xfce session. This new session opened to my
eye candy wallpaper and shortcuts I had created under Gnome.

Next time I start Xorg I'll use the older session to check your
suggestion out.