Grub/Grub2 fails with non-first root partition

Hi all.
I am currently attempting to install Debian on a laptop that currently has
only windows xp on it.
Using the testing netinstall iso, i ran the setup process several times
but I keep getting the same problem over and over.
The partition tables is as follows:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xace22e9e

/dev/hda1   *           1        3824    30716248+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2            3825        6797    23880622+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3            6798        9729    23551290   83  Linux

(I have also tried creating a separate /boot partition [hda3] before the
root partition [hda4], but that didn't change the outcome)

Debian installation works smoothly and the new system is correctly
deployed on the laptop. Unfortunately I am never able to boot into it.
Grub2 starts but after a while the message "Unknown filesystem" is printed
and a rescue console is started.
Only a few basic commands are available and none of them helped me figure
out where the problem is. After booting into a live distro, I checked
grub2's configuration files but those seemed fine too.

As a desperate move, I tried to netinstall debian stable that comes with
grub legacy. That installation was successful too but still I couldn't
make it past grub, which returned "Error 17".

Despite having some good experience with linux systems, I am totally
clueless on this one. Any suggestions?

-RV