Re: Debian vs. ATI Radeon x1650

Ken Heard wrote:
I want a new display adapter/video card with two DVI ports to use for a
two screen setup to replace the adapter/card built in to my Foxconn
mainboard which has only one VGA port.  I found a place in Toronto where
I can buy a Radeon X1650 XT for CA$40.00.  I checked the URLs in
thveillon.debian's post, with the following results described inline in
those parts of the post quoted below (thanks Tom):
[...]

So, based on the foregoing, should I take the plunge and buy it in the
hope that I can get it to work?  If it does not then I am out the
CA$40.00, because I will not be able to return it.

I'm using an old Radeon X1650 Pro to temporarily replace my GeForce 7950GT which died over the summer. I have been using it with the 'radeonhd' driver for about 2 months. The NVidia proprietary driver would not recognize my 1920x1200 monitor's preferred resolution, but 'radeonhd' always has.

My understanding is that the other free software driver, 'radeon', is now more in better shape and even has initial support for kernel mode setting (if you have a new enough kernel, with the proper settings enabled). I have a new Radeon coming in the mail, and will be playing with 'radeon' and KMS quite soon! :)

HTH,
Dave W.

PS: I don't think I would buy a card that I could not return. What if the thing is DOA? What if the fan screams like a subway train? I think you should keep your options open when it comes to returns.