Re: Virtual Memory and long use

Ivan Marin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm running Sid (kernel 2.6.30) on a Core i7 with 4G of memory. Everything
> runs smoothly until some programs hit the VM (like using eclipse, amarok,
> iceweasel and azureus at the same time). Even if one of the memory hoggers
> is killed, or all of them, if the VM was hit and some swap was made, the
> system performance starts do degrade, being slower and slower, and with
> lots of I/O, even if the program was not in the swap or is closed and
> opened again. I think that maybe this is related to the "swapiness" of the
> system, but also don't know how to configure that, and disabling the swap
> doesn't seems a very bright idea to me. I heard that kernel 2.6.31 has a
> much better performance regarding memory control. Any thoughts?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Ivan

Not sure but it could be related to larger files. I have the same
observation, then I investigated and read that linux is loading files into
memory (i.e. when copying then), so you can test following.

Copy a large file i.e. 2GB and remove it afterwords (you can use i.e. dd)
Delete the file and have a look to the memory with top or free.

For me it shows 2GB mem free.

I'm thinking that things are actually not swapped correctly but no prove
until now.

regards