Re: grub2 default menu entry name

On Wednesday 23 September 2009 11:28:25 ein gedanke wrote:
> how can I configure the name of the default grub2 menu entry, when I
> invoke update-grub it makes me an entry like 'Debian GNU/Linux, Linux
> 2.6.30-1-686' in grub.cfg.
> I want a custom name like 'debian workarea', how can I obtain this?

You will have to edit /etc/grub.d/10_linux if you do not want your
changes in /boot/grub/grub.cfg to be overwritten on every run of
update-grub.

Alternatively, you can edit the line

  GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`

in /etc/default/grub to something like

  GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Foo Bar"

That will result in a menu entry that looks like

	Foo Bar GNU/Linux, Linux 2.6.30-1-686

But you could have found that out by yourself by simply reading
/etc/grub.d/10_linux.