Re: dev/null only root access - why?

Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2009-09-22 21:23 +0200, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>
>> Why does dev/null has rw permissions only for root?
>>
>> ls -al /dev/null
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 22 сеп 21,09 /dev/null
>
> This can happen if some program, e.g. an early init script, writes to
> /dev/null before the device node for it is created.  In this case,
> redirection (foobar > /dev/null) will create it as a regular file.

Thanks for your replies.
I suspect here hibernate!
I don't know it very well, but I have problems after wake up from supsend or
hibernate state.

I have installed 2.6.31 (custom) recently, but don't think this is the
reason.

>> Where do you fix this?
>
> I don't really have an explanation or a solution.  To debug the problem,
> reboot with init=/bin/bash added to the kernel command line and run the
> scripts in /etc/rcS.d, one at a time (/etc/rcS.d/Swhatever start).
> Check /dev/null after each script.

After I reboot it looks normal, so may be you are correct. It's either some
script/hibernate or udev issue.

It's not that urgent to fix today, but would be nice to have a solution.

regards