3d hardware acceleration no longer works after upgrade to squeeze.

Dear all,

After I upgraded from lenny to squeeze this week, it seems that 3d
hardware acceleration no longer works for me. This is because games
like tuxracer and armagetronad no longer work properly. They are very
slow and bitmaps are missing when running armagetronad. The program
glxinfo reports "direct rendering: Yes", though. The program lspci
reports that I have a radeon 9200 SE video card. dmesg was reporting
that it could not load the radeon firmware, so I installed the
firmware-linux package and now it no longer gives the error. But this
does not help for the problem that the 3d acceleration is not working.
Anyone any idea what I can try next?

All the best,
Chris