Re: what software would have been looking after a maxtor one-touch?

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:22:16PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   tidying up some issues from my upgrade/migration, and there was a
> 1-touch maxtor external HD on the old (sarge) system that, apparently,
> did a backup when you did that one-touch thing.  the question is:
> what software would have been sitting there in the background,
> handling that?

Are you talking about USB or Firewire connected harddrive?
 http://www.maxtor.com/en/external-drives/backup-and-storage-devices/

"one touch" is for windows, I guess.

>   i see no official .deb package for a maxtor, and there's nothing in
> udev about it so, trying not to sound overly dense, what should i be
> looking for that would have been the backing software to handle
> recognition of that drive?

linux kernel can handle USB/firewire connected HDD as /dev/sdb, ...
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_removable_storage_device

So you must have mounted it somewhere as just another harddrive and used
any standard backup tools to copy files there.

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_backup_utility_suites

>         Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel

Interesting ...

Osamu