Gnome-volume-manager not automounting fixed partitions?

Howdy, fellow debianites!

On my system (Lenny), gnome-volume-manager won't mount additional
partitions
that are present on my disk. I'm talking about clicking on the drive
icons in Nautilus: gnome-volume-manager obviously detects them (hence
the icons are
present) but clicking on them just produces a notification stating
"Cannot mount volume. You are not privileged to mount volume 'ZX
Spectrum'". What gives? Is automount disabled by default in Deban, or
is this an error condition on my system? And, if the former is the
case,
what has to be done to enable automount?

(P.S. I know the partitions can be mounted by hand or by adding them to
fstab -- that's *not* what I am asking about ;)

TIA ans have a nice day!

--
Certifiable Loonix User 481801