Re: How do I ensure xdm only starts after /etc/rc.local is finished?

[Dan Jacobson]
> How do I ensure xdm only starts after /etc/rc.local is finished?

Well, there are several ways to do this, but I will limit myself to
one of them.  I assume you start with these headers, which are the
current ones in unstable:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          xdm
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs
# Should-Start:      xfs $named slapd hal
# Should-Stop:       xfs $named slapd hal
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
### END INIT INFO

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          rc.local
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog $all
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:
# Short-Description: Run /etc/rc.local if it exist
### END INIT INFO

You say you want rc.local to run earlier, so you could change its
header to look like this to move it before xdm.

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          rc.local
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $syslog
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:
# Short-Description: Run /etc/rc.local if it exist
### END INIT INFO

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen