can't connect to pulse audio - connection refused

I'm trying to install pulse audio (to get my bluetooth headset working with skype hopefully)

for the moment there seem to be some permission problems. It looks like it is running in the background:
micha     4569  0.0  0.1 161688  2476 ?        Ssl  08:07   0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog

but if I try to connect with any of the tool such as pavucontrol for example I
get a message: connection refused.

Running the pulseaudio manager says at the bottom:

Linked to library version: 0.9.17
Compiled with library version: 0.9.8

don't know if this is any clue, or whether I need to add myself to some group
or fix something with the dbus/hal permissions. Happy for any help

Thanks