Re: Printing

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 05:40:37PM -0400, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Giancarlo Pegoraro
> <genkipegoraro@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Il giorno mer, 16/09/2009 alle 18.38 +0200, pch0317 ha scritto:
[...]
> >> The problem is that when I print black text I receive coloured text instead.
> >> It is bug?
> >
> > Sometime, the black cartridge is empty? :-)
> >

> On the printer's control panel press and hold Cancel and then press
> Color Start.  The printer will print a test page.  if there's no black
> on the test page, you're probably out of black ink.
>
> The hplip package includes utilities for checking ink levels and
> running an ink system cleaning which you can run if you're not out of
> black ink and yet it doesn't print black or if black is streaky.

take a look at the "Printout Mode" options for your printer. If you
are primarily printing B&W, make sure you select a printout mode that
uses the black cartridge. It is quite possible to set a color mode
that does not use the black cartridge at all and gets its black from
wastefully mixing the other three colors. Personally, since I pretty
much *only* print in  B&W, I select a printout mode that uses *only*
the black cartridge.