very slow window minimizing?

I'm running a squeeze desktop with gnome, metacity, etc.  Some recent
upgrade seems to cause window minimizing and unminimizing to become
very slow once I have a lot of windows on my desktop.  Metacity tries
to "animate" the minimizing by drawing a rectangle that shrinks as it
moves to the taskbar.  But now it sometimes draws the rectangle and it
stays there, full size, for a couple of seconds before shrinking away.
Un-minimizing also becomes very slow.

Sorry for the vague problem description, but I'm not sure what package
is likely to be the problem, or if it's some setting I need to change.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Please CC me on any replies.