Re: CPU default frequency is at 75%

Merciadri Luca:

> However, when booting Debian, it is put at 75%, and keeps using this
> value until I change it (by clicking on the applet, and choosing
> "Performance" or "2.66Ghz", or "100%").

What does

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

say after bootup?

> I thought it would not have had any repercussions not to change this
> value (I thought it had no effect), but it *really* works. As I often
> use apps which need the *full* cpu power, I would like to use it,
> directly from the boot, at 100%.

Have you observed whether the frequency changes automatically when the
CPU is under load? That would be the kernel's default behaviour if your
current governor is either ondemand or conservative.

That said, I don't know which governor is used by default by Debian's
kernels.

> How could I manage to make the process of using "Performance"
> automatically? The computer I am speaking about is not a laptop, and
> there is no reason to choose a different setting than "Performance",
> except for power issues, but that is not a problem.

I suggest you use just the ondemand governor and stop caring about the
issue at all. You will get full CPU power when you need it and save a
little power when you don't. Just install cpufrequtils and folle the
instructions in README.Debian.

J.
--
I lust after strangers but only date people from the office.
[Agree]   [Disagree]