Re: Security support for Squeeze delayed

Hi, Matus:

On Thursday 17 September 2009 17:46:56 Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > On Monday 20 July 2009 17:09:57 Soren Orel wrote:
> > > So is Debian Squeeze not up-to-date by security fixes? wow. :S:S
>
> On 21.07.09 03:39, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> > Why should it?  It's "testing", after all: too much work for too short a
> > benefit.
>
> because some time ago security support was promised for testing in addition
> to stable.

For what I can remember off my head, that was about security support once
Testing's frozen, not in the middle of changes.

In my opinion it was trying to cover a defect with another one.  People wanted
security support on Testing because they were using Testing on production or
production-like machines.  They were using Testing on those environments
because Stable was taking ages.  So instead of trying to resolve the
underlying problem (don't let Stable to take ages so Stable target-users
won't use Testing instead and then Testing will be for what is meant: testing
package integration and then won't be a pressure for security support).

> ... I understand that it may be problem, otoh it shouldn't be a big problem
> to quickly push packages to testing or remove them from there...

It's never a problem by itself: you just could go without the "colding" time
between Unstable and Testing... which would mean passing through bugs faster
too somehow undermining the very reason for the Unstable->Testing staging.