pinning question

I have a laptop that functions 'just right' hardware wise so I have no
interest in upgrading the compiled kernel (2.6.26 I believe), xorg, or
rhythmbox (11.6).  Newer kernels seem to break my fglrx and madwifi
setups along with the newer rhythmbox giving me grief.

I am looking into apt pinning for the first time and while I'm reading
up would like a little clarification.

Is pinning going to be the best way to hold these specific packages
indefinitely?  What is the specific  After pinning will I be able to
'aptitude dist-upgrade' without worry of overwriting these packages?

It seems that in /etc/apt/preferences I just need to put:

Package: rhythmbox
Pin: version 11.6*
Pin-Priority: 1001

and that will hold Rhythmbox at the current installed version.  Will
marking the packages in Aptitude 'manual' do the same thing?

Ideally once I finish this exercise I will be able to do a dist-upgrade
to Testing (Squeeze will be listed in my sources.list) and not worry
about changing these particular programs.  This is pretty important
since I will be giving this machine to a friend that will not be able to
troubleshoot if something breaks X or wifi.

Anyone doing something similar?

Thanks.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/