Re: aptitude still running after terminal crash

On Thursday 17 September 2009 10:40:11 Guy Marcenac wrote:
> While doing a safe-upgrade, my remote term crashed.
> When I relog into the system, the files are locked and I can see a
>  running safe-upgrade in the background, likely waiting for an input.
>  I am afraid of consistency problems if I kill the process and I
>  don't know how to get the control back on this update process.
> Ideas ?

That is quite unusual. Usually aptitude should have been killed too. Did
you, by chance, use screen? That would be quite good, because you could
simply reattach. Please try `screen -ls` and `screen -rd` if you used
screen. If not, use screen now.

However, if you did not use screen you probably don't have another
chance then to kill aptitude. I wouldn't worry to much about
inconsistencies, since you already have them now. Just kill it and try
running it again.