Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Wed,16.Sep.09, 13:24:12, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>   if i read this correctly, you're suggesting that if the "server"
>> packages already have entries (100-999) in the passwd/group/shadow
>> files (carried over from the old system), they'll keep the same UID?
>> yes, that would be convenient if it's true.
>
> Yes, groups created by a package are not removed, not even on purge (I
> still have the 'Debian-exim' user and group, though I purged it and
> replaced it with postfix). If that same package is reinstalled it will
> reuse the user:group, this is why it should work.

I think it depends on the packager decision and effort - some packages
remove the user some not.

but thanks I didn't know that I can use parts of older system and reinstall
new one - if this is what is described here and I'm understanding it
correct.

regards