RE: Installing onto an old laptop

Since you already have a Debain system on your network, set it up as a boot
server:

Another option is to take the hard drive out of the computer, and either put
it into another computer, or into an external USB enclosure, and install
Debian onto it from another computer, then move the hard drive back.