Resource management & scheduling tool recomendation

Hi there,
there is single PC. PC is used for testing. It tests external devices.
Test requires:
- external device to be tested
- test to be executed
- one or more PCI boards

Currently it is done like that:
#!/bin/bash
test.sh test_01 device_01
test.sh test_02 device_01
test.sh test_03 device_01
test.sh test_01 device_02
test.sh test_02 device_02
[...]

(Test itself knows how many boards does it need)

It is suboptimal, as some tests utilize only one board and other
tests, which could utilize another board(s) are simply waiting for
test to finish.

I would like to do it another way instead:
- [BEGIN] insert tests into pool
- [UNTIL END] choose from pool test, which can be run now (device and
PCI boards required are not occupied) and run it, then release board
and device

I could automate it using some locking scheme (flock or something),
but maybe there's something simplier. A tool, which would allow me to
define resources and tasks, and then take care of executing them.
I have just noticed gridengine, but it seems to be too heavy for that
purpose. Would you recommend anything else?

Regards,
Robert