Re: sharing an ipp printer with a mac client

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 11:38:59PM +0200, jaan vaart wrote:
> >Anyway some time ago I managed to configure the printer on my wife's
> >mac. This expansive laptop is connected wirelessly (same as the linux
> >clients) via a router. Mac osx was able to detect the printer with the
> >protocol (IPP) and server address. Now it can't and upgrading cups to
> >1.4.0 broke printing from it with the old printer profile. I can print
> >in mac console specifying host address with:
> >lp -h 192.168.0.1:631 test.txt
> >but the damn wizard won't detect the printer.
> >Any hints?

I ran into something similar:  The protocol changed between Mac OS 10.5
and 10.6, and some reconfiguration is needed to talk both protocols.

The clearest explanantion I found is at
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2275?viewlocale=en_US

We worked around it following those instructions, typing
cupsctl BrowseProtocols='"cups dnssd"'
into a Terminal window.  That told the Mac to also look for printers using
the protocol that our cups install was using.  Might be related.

Jon Leonard