Re: Internet interface problem

Let me ask this first, as it is quite important: Do you have internet by
chance? My guess is that you do, seeing that you use Thunderbird under
X11.

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 20:28:00 LM--- wrote:
> > Situation # 1
> > KNetworkConf (in KDE ConfigCentre – Network parameters) does show
> >  eth0 _alone_ , but it is not given any IP address (although DHCP
> > is the preselectioned IP detection mode); nothing changes before
> > detection is restarted by deactivating then reactivating the
> > interface in this module. Situation #2
> > knetworkmanager, the applet I installed to ease connection and
> > deconnection to the network, is as much “confused”; after KDE
> > starts it “runs empty” can't/won't connect to any interface for
> > about 20 seconds, to finally systematically choose the wrong one:
> > “usb0”
>
> I don't know that tool and I would not trust it. But did you by
>  chance install the network-manager? dpkg -l network-manager will
>  tell you.
>
> --> Yes it is installed.

Okay, read the manual, read what it does and check if that is of help to
you.

> > This confirms what I see under KDE:
> > something (what?) makes the system (which element, routine, module,
> > programme, package?) choose the wrong interface “usb0”.
> >
> > How to solve this problem? This is the whole headache here!
> >
> > My other problem is, I don't really know which other tests to carry
> >  out to find out which setting I have to try with which programme,
> >  routine or module or else... - before thinking of filling any bug
> >  report for a particular package...
>
> Please check if you have network-manager installed. You could also
>  try `ip addr` and the like.
>
> --> What is `ip addr`? Can you explain?

The ip util is the new kid on the block, replacing ifconfig/route/etc.
again, read the manual.

> > BEGIN---
> > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your
> > system # and how to activate them. For more information, see
> > interfaces(5).
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> > address 127.0.0.1
> > netmask 255.0.0.0
> >
> > # The primary network interface
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > auto eth0
> >
> > END---
> >
> > I've had five versions and none worked as I wished...
>
> Did you try commenting out allow-hotplug eth0?
>
> --> Yes, that is gone in my present /etc/network/interfaces file.

Okay, then you probably know, that network-manager does not meddle with
your eth0 anymore.