Re: sharing an ipp printer with a mac client

2009/9/8 Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl>:
> Please keep this on the list.
> Leonardo Canducci schreef:

>>> You can connect to other cups servers from your local cups server. So get
>>> your browser, go to that page, and add
>>> http://192.168.0.1:631/printers/yourprinterqueue
>>> In principle you can also let the linux machine broadcast its printers,
>>> and
>>> the mac will autodetect this. However, I usually find it tricky to get
>>> this
>>> to work through firewalls, listening disablers and other misbehaving
>>> stuff.
>>> To get this to work, read the manual.
>>
>> If I manually set the queue osx gives me the wrong driver and doesn't
>> even present the right one (the one automatically choose when plugging
>> the printer to the mac).
>
> I think it is rather common that autodetection-over-networks is not often
> working. Strange however that the apparently available right choice is not
> offered. You can always manually provide the ppd, maybe that solves the
> issue?
I tried that: copied ppd file and choose that when manually adding the
printer, but it doesn't work.

>> Broadcasting works fine on linux boxes and windows xp and it used to
>> work on mac too.
>
> On Windows? Cups-broadcasting?
On windows there's no detection. I manually set the printer URI and
driver (the right one).

>>> And, maybe it is also possible to make a /etc/cups/cups.client file on
>>> the
>>> mac, pointing to 192.168.0.1:631 and completely bypass the macs own cups?
>>> Works on linuxes, might also work on macs?
>>
>> I'll try. But I fear to screw up mac environment (I don't know much about
>> that).
>
> You can always delete the file if it doesn't work ;)
You're right. Anyway it's annoying it doesn't work anymore the right way.
--
Leonardo Canducci