Re: Disabling avahi

On 2009-09-08 02:38, Chris Davies wrote:
John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
"sudo apt-get remove --purge avahi-daemon" works for me.

The following packages will be REMOVED
  avahi-daemon* avahi-utils* gnome* libnss-mdns* telepathy-salut*
  gnome-accessibility gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment gnome-office

This is part of the problem. I used to be able to to exactly what you
recommended, but as far as I can tell, alas no more. (I don't think I
care about either telepathy-salut or libnss-mdns. I do care about gnome,
although since it's a meta-package maybe I'm safe?)

Out of interest, does this tell me that nothing depends on "gnome",
and so therefore it's "safe" to remove? -

apt-rdepends -r gnome Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
    gnome

gnome is a meta-package, so unless you really need libnss-mdns or telepathy-salut, it's ok to say Yes to that apt-get command.

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave.  It's got electrolytes!