Re: Fast booting for a Debian system - and suggestions for said system

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 18:46:36 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> As for speeding up the bootprocess:

> # echo "CONCURRENCY=shell" >> /etc/default/rcS

I've seen this stuff floating around the web, but it doesn't seem to be
documented very well:

a)  I've seen some references to doing it in /etc/default/rcS as you
have it, and some in /etc/init.d/rc.  On my Sid install, the
standard /etc/default/rcS has no concurrency variable in it, while the
one under init.d has it set to "none".  Which is the right place to set
it?  Is either one okay?

b) the comments in the one under init.d state:

# Valid options are 'none', 'startpar' and 'makefile'. To enable

Is 'shell' still the right option?  Is it still even valid?  What about
the other ones?

I've seen:

which seems to say that startpar or makefile should be used
in /etc/default/rcS . What's the difference between them?

Celejar