Re: List Ettiquette

On Monday 31 August 2009 15:35:57 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-08-31 12:39, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 August 2009 09:24:26 Jason C. Wells wrote:
> >> Gosh you would think that I said micro-kernels are a waste of time or
> > No, micro-kernels are the only way to move forward into a pervasive cloud
> > of computing resources.
> Why?  No, really: why?
>
> Or are you tossing around buzzwords on a frustrating Monday morning?

Yeah, I'm just adding fuel to the fire.

I do think stronger separation between "core" kernel duties and various
modules -- meaning memory address separation -- probably makes for more
robustness.

I also think many separable parts that use some form of message passing would
be a significant advantage when trying to aggregate a heterogeneous set of
local devices to a single system.

That doesn't necessarily mean micro-kernels are worth the time it takes to
write them though, especially since I'm not an expert in such things.