Re: Post to this list delayed over 15 hours

John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> writes:

>* John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> [090830 11:25]:
>> My last post to this list took over 15 hours to get through, looks
>> like the issue has to do with greylisting. I seem to recall having
>> this problem a while back where after a few posts the response time
>> improved...will see how long it takes for this message to get through.

>hmmm...this one came through right away.

That's how greylisting works. The first message you send will be
delayed, later messages will go straight through. After some period of
time it will forget you (defaults to about 30 days I think), so you have
to go through the delay again if you dont post for a while.

The initial timeout is based on two things:

1. The timeout set in postgrey, which defaults to 5 minutes. Postgrey
will not accept another email from you before that timeout expires.

2. The retry time of the sending mail server. When the sending mail
server gets told of a temporary delivery failure (greylisting), the mail
server will have to retry later. How much later is up to it. Sometimes
it will retry within the postgrey 5 minute timeout and be rejected again
which causes it to back off for much longer. That may be what happened
to you.