Re: Laptop getting so warm : (

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 01:31:20PM EDT, Hashimoto wrote:

> Hi guys, I'm back ; )

No problem.. I hung your picture on my wall and treasured every word you
said.

> But with the same problem : (

> My laptop is getting near to 70C easily running firefox or a virtual
> machine in VirtualBox.

Mine goes to about 75C when I do stuff like that.

But since /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points advertises this:

critical (S5):           115 C

I know I have another 40C to go before things start getting sticky...

:-)

I have no idea where acpi got the idea from or how reliable it is, but
the manual that came with your machine should also specify its operating
temperature range - as tested by the manufacturer.

> What I'm wondering is if a device like this -
> http://www.atera.com.br/dispprod.asp?COD=CF6160H - can help me to
> solve this problem.

I believe this will only work if the vents/fans on your laptop happen to
be on the underside of your laptop. Could be wrong, though.. I have not
tried one of those myself.. the only vent on mine happens to be on one
side of the case.

> What do you think ??

I purchased 8 rubber thingies from Home Depot that you normally use for
pieces of furniture and placed two of them on top of each other at each
corner of the laptop's case to raise its underside about an inch and a
half off the desk so that air can freely circulate underneath.. a lot
cheaper (and very silent) but I'm not sure it did anything.

CJ