Re: GUI Digital Camera Application

-----Original Message-----
From: S. Fishpaste <SDA@Deer-in-the-headlights.ca.invalid>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: GUI Digital Camera Application
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:44:30 -0400

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:51:35 -0400, Charles Kroeger in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
>> - f-spot
>
> Watch out there you're packing in  21MB of gnome dependencies and
> esound that wipes out alsa, you know what I say to that.

ew scratch  that then.

> Just a card reader file manager and gimp for those creative moments.
>
>>Ron Johnson said:
>
> jhead exif  exiv2 metacam
>
> Thanks for these suggestions.

All useful but not what I need for this project. :-)

 I use gtkam virtually every day to manage the download an importing of
images into a series of albums. It gives you a lot of control and can
be set to do anything that windows image manager can. To optimize your
effectiveness use gphoto2 as the back end for gtkam. I also use the
plugin gtkam-gimp to allow gimp to serve as my editing tool. It is
pretty seamless. Gimp on the other hand is NOT photoshop. It is
actually as powerful or more so, but somewhat harder to learn. It
really needs an overhaul as far as the GUI for it to be accepted by
mainstream windows users in place of adobe photoshop.I also use GQView
& Gthumb to manipulate images. They will allow you to use the exif data
that gtkam does not allow for. It gives you the ability to sort and
eliminate duplicates across the entire album base. Last but not least I
use Gallery2 to manage my online photo galleries. VERY cool and
extremely reliable.  All of these have dependencies but as far as I
know no KDE stuff. I currently manage albums containing over 20,000
family photos with this system. Best wishes!

--
John Foster