GNOME: How to automount pluggable drives?

How to I get drives to be auto-mounted in GNOME, without having a nautilus
window open? I am using sid.

It used to be that gnome-volume-manager would auto-mount media devices
and auto-run specified programs for specific media types (ipod, CDs,
DVDs, etc). This functionality of g-v-m has been removed in Debian since
nautilus now does this.

I don't use nautilus to manage my desktop, and I cannot see any way to
run nautilus as a daemon so it can perform the auto-mount functionality
as required. It seems I have to have a nautilus window open for
auto-mount to work.

In particular, I want rhythmbox to start when I plug in my ipod.

Can this be done without having a nautilus window open? This is on my
little eeePC 701, so memory, CPU and screen real estate are constrained.
I dont want it chewed up by an unwanted nautilus window.