Re: problem installing Lenny

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 12:50:23 bdebreil wrote:
> My next concern are the error messages that keep displaying every 3
> minutes or so, if I am on a console (that doesn't show when I am under
> Gnome Xterm).

For a new issue, you should start a new thread.  Other can can help you with
the new issue may already be ignoring this thread because they couldn't assist
with the old issue.

(You can do this by composing a new email rather than using the "Reply"
feature of your MUA.)

> It is matter of a firmware that cannot be installed, most
> likely a WiFi card driver :
>
> "
> firmware: requesting rt2561.bin
> phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Fir
> mware.
> "
>
> I found this in Google :
>
> Google rt2x00 wiki
>
> Rt2.00 drivers are part of the mainline kernel tree. this is true since
> Jan 2008 with the 2.6.24 kernel... While the mainline kernel has the
> driver tree, for several reasons, can only be pulled along with the full
> kernel sources usint the git content tracker..... "
>
> WiFi did operate on this machine on my late Debian Sarge system ; I
> don't know what firmware operated, but I had no such errors.

Lenny in specific and Debian in general has removed a number of firmwares from
the kernel shipped in main because the firmwares are arguably non-free or that
their distribution could possibly violate the GPL.

Most (if not all) of those firmwares are available as packages in the non-free
repository.

> Since I
> have higher priorities and that my PC is mostly connected through an
> ethernet cable, I wish to disable that module for now. How should I
> blacklist it of something of the kind ?

If you can determine the module name (maybe "rt2561"?), you can blacklist the
module using a file in /etc/modprobe.d, whose contents in documented by 'man 5
modprobe.conf'.  Most often something like "blacklist rt2561" or "install
rt2561 /bin/true" should work.

> Is there a better thing to
> do ?

If you'd like the module and its hardware to work, install the firmware
package from non-free.