Re: problem installing Lenny

Le mercredi 26 août 2009 à 13:14 +0200, Johannes Wiedersich a écrit :

> Bernard wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Since I was unable to recompile my old kernel 2.6.20 under Debian Sarge,
> > I decided to install Lenny. Unable to find a way to just upgrade (there
> > has been Etch in between),
>
> Why not just upgrade to etch (aka 'oldstable'), followed by an upgrade
> to lenny?
>
> >                            I just saved directories and installed from
> > the iso image
> >
> > debian-502a-i386-netinst.iso
> >
> > I choose somewhat automated install. I left partitions like they were
> > under Sarge, or, if I did change something at that point, I can't
> > exactly remember what. I must say that the partitioning menu seemed very
> > confusing, but I admit that I knew very little about my raid1 system.
>
> The installation guide [1] contain a very informative section on
> partitioning.
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#di-partition
>
> > In any case, the Lenny install that I now get, shows defaults.
> > mdadm monitoring keeps sending mails at each boot :
> >
> > 'A degradated event has been detected on md device /dev/md0
> > P.S. The /proc/mdstat file currently contains the following :
> >
> > Personalities: [raid 1]
> >
> > md1: active raid 1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
> > 67874550 blocks [2/2] [UU]
> >
> > md0: active raid 1 sda1[0]
> > 497856 blocks [2/1] [U_]
> >
> > unused devices : none
> > '
>
> I guess that you just have to add sdb1 to your raid md0. Check the
> output of 'mdadm --detail /dev/md0'.
> - From there, I'd read 'man mdadm' and either try to autoassemble 'mdadm
> - --assemble --scan' or to add the missing spare by hand '--manage -a'.

Thanks a lot. That did the trick. I typed :

mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1

and this restored my md0 all right. After reboot, this change remains.
So, I think that this particular problem is solved

My next problem is one of keyboard. I had chosen a kind of automatic
setup for my install. Despites this, I was questioned about language,
and I had replied 'French'. However my keyboard is in QWERTY instead of
being in AZERTY as it should. With past installed (RedHat 5.2, then
RH6.0, RH7.2, Debian Sarge..., I had had no problem having my keyboard
configured right away for AZERTY. It is not so here with that install of
Lenny. System messages are in French (which I don't really care), but
the keyboard is QUERTY, worse yet when I have to search for the right
key for a special character. This is so in both console and graphic
environment (GNOME).

Thanks in advance for your help in switching my keyboard to the French
setup.

Next I will ask for how to replace GNOME with fvwm...