Re: "deborphan" is a wonderful utility

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 02:07:35 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> p.s.  starting with a server that had just over 600 packages, i'm now
> down to 460, with no loss in functionality.  hopefully, this will make
> that final upgrade as safe as possible.

Just as a miscellaneous reference point, I recently reinstalled Debian
on my laptop, partly in order to move to full disk encryption, and
partly as a drastic way to remove accumulated cruft.  Instead of doing
the --get-selection --set-selection thing, I just did a minimal install
and then added things back as I needed them.  I currently have 624
packages installed, and that's with build-essential, X, a large chunk
of Xfce (but not all of it), several (mostly relatively lightweight) X
apps (liferea, sylpheed, geany, mplayer), iceweasel, openoffice.org
writer, and sundry other stuff.

> p.p.s.  i'm starting to like this debian thing more and more.  :-)

+1

Celejar