Re: How to install a debian package without root on a non-Debian system?

On 2009-08-25 14:08, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 02:01:25PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
My system is RedHat. But I don't have root permission. But I want to
install a Debian package (for example, screen) in my home directory.
Can somebody let me know how to install such a package in my home
directory?
You can't.

Anyway, why install a *Debian* package, when you should be trying to install an RPM?

Sometimes (like now, for me), you are on a Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS
machine administered by someone else and want to use some software
which is available on Debian with ease. It is tough, because of the
several dependencies, library requirements etc.; so much that it is
better to compile the package from source, but sometimes, it might be
useful to just grab that executable from the Debian package? (I have
never done this though.

But binary Debian packages also have dependencies, which are sometimes named differently than in the RHAT world.

Besides, I *think* that RPMs now have the ability to be installed under $HOME.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.