Re: Grub vrs: Lilo

On Tue,25.Aug.09, 06:33:25, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently changed some of our machines from booting with Lilo to
> Grub. Now when doing a kernel upgrade nothing is said about having
> to reboot the computer like it did with Lilo.
>
> I see nothing in the logs about the computer using the new kernel so
> I assume you still need to reboot to run the new kernel? Can anyone
> set me straight on this? Logs below on Kernel upgrade.....

If you upgrade the kernel you always have to reboot the computer (unless
you use kexec), this has nothing to do with lilo or grub. The advantage
of grub vs. lilo is that you don't need to rerun grub if you change
something in menu.lst, while with lilo you always have to run 'lilo',
even if the filename of the kernel image remains the same.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)