Re: gnuserv

Mike O'Connor wrote:

> The gnuserv package also distributes a script named "dtemacs" which
> will run check for an already running instance of emacs, and start one
> if non is found.

> More information about gnuserv can be found at:
>
>      http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnuClient

None of those scripts (and I think I got my original script also from
documentation like this) is working as expected.

When I use dtemacs to open a file (say /tmp/em)  I also get:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/home/js/.emacs':

as well as an additional

Symbol's function definition is void: temp-directory

and the main window does not contain /tmp/em.

With other scripts from the wiki I can open emacs but gnuclient is
complaining:

23276 pts/6    R      0:00 /usr/bin/emacs a
gnuclient: Connection refused
gnuclient: unable to connect to local

and it then runs a new emacs process.

I have removed gnuserv from my system now.  I could not get it to work
as expected.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the
      night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with
      a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent
      heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall
      be burned up."                  II Peter 3:10